August 11, 2016
Duz Cho Forest Products Celebrates Grand Opening
J. Bruce Pollock, President, Interex Forest Products presenting a commemorative “Good Luck” plaque to Chief Derek Orr.
I was pleased to attend and be a part of the Grand Opening of the Duz Cho Forest Products (DCFP) mill held on June 13, 2016. I was first introduced to DCFP in late 2012, when it was a just a large empty shed but the people involved were bursting with innovative ideas and a notion to make a product out of resource that was not being utilized. All this group needed was guidance on best-fit product options and how to get to market and hence the relationship with Interex began. So when we shipped their first containers to Asia in August of 2015 we knew we were involved in something special.
Fast forward to June 13, 2016 and we are part of a 200 plus delegation of dignitaries including 3 MLA, First Nations members (one elder offered the blessing for the event), mill staff and their spouses and customers and vendors alike.
It was interesting to hear Minister Steve Thompson (Forest Lands and Natural Resource Operations) talk about the innovative approach taken by staff at DCFP to make the enterprise a success. As well, Chief Derek Orr’s expressed appreciation of all of the people contributing to the success of DCFP, including his Mom for allowing him to become Chief. Everybody should thank their moms sometime!
We at Interex have been especially proud to be a positive contributor to DCFP’s launch and ongoing export program. Officially, we have been a part of DCFP’s export marketing program since April 4, 2014. Those first 2 containers shipped out in August of 2014 sowed the seeds for the sales, marketing and shipment of over 150 containers a month today and with an objective to further increase those volumes.
Thank you and congratulations to our partners at DCFP. Your growth and success is our objective.
January 12, 2016
View looking East over Howe Sound to the Squamish/Whistler Highway, December 28, 2015.
To all our good friends and business associates:
We have now wrapped up 2015 and I want to say thank you for your support during this past year and I wish you all a safe, healthy and prosperous 2016.
2015 will go down in the books as another good year in our company history with steady sales and shipments of lumber and panel products to our good customers.
There have been some changes with our staff, operating platforms and one Member Company this past year:
- one tragic event we all had to endure was the terrible news of our friend and colleague, Kevin Nibbelink, and his motorcycle accident last January but, were so pleased to have him attend our Christmas party and witness his steady recovery;
- in March we launched our English version of our new web site and updated late in this year with other languages;
- in April, the merger between Ainsworth and Norbord was welcomed and completed. This merger brought the transition to the Norbord brand to our overseas markets, while retaining the quality reputation of Ainsworth;
- in June we welcomed Rob Feustel as Interex’s new Corporate Controller and Alex Jovanovic to our OSB sales team;
- we said goodbye on July 31st (or see you on the golf course) to Interex’s long serving CFO, Bijan Ahmadi, after a long and successful career in the forest industry. We wished him well in his retirement;
- September through the 4th Quarter was a blur of visitors and trips. We have made many sales and marketing trips to China, Japan, Korea and India (35 person trips) this past year as well as meeting with our shareholder mills and other suppliers with customers (47 person trips) from those same markets that we visited. Fortunately, we did not have to travel to Asia in July or August (hot and humid) but, we did have the pleasure of touring our mills with our guests from Asia during these fine summer months. In fact, we had visits continuously from February through to November with one cancellation in December due to the Paris tragedy and;
- in November we transitioned our export lumber program to Annacis reload in order to meet the market demands of 100% undercover storage.
2015 was also a year of giving:
- Financial support from Interex was directed to the Yaletown House in Vancouver, an end of life care facility operating in downtown Vancouver and to Hockey Helps the Homeless, a day of charity hockey that pits former NHL’ers with skilled players and plumbers and pylons (like me) against other like teams in a one day event. This event raised $425,000 and will supply funding for those agencies supporting homelessness and at risk peoples in downtown Vancouver.
- In December of this year, our Vancouver office staff raised and will contribute $8,015 to the United Way campaign for 2016. Thanks all and thanks Rob Teichgrab for organizing this.
- In December, we donated $1,000 to the Lower Mainland Food Bank.
We look beyond the strife that unfortunately takes place in our world.
We give thanks for our health and our strong relationships that have endured.
We thank you again for your support.
Again, from myself and all of our staff here at Interex Forest Products, we wish you all the best for a healthy and prosperous New Year in 2016.
With best regards,
J. Bruce Pollock – President